Wednesday 8 June 2011

Moving Home

Anyone who has been reading my blogs over the last few weeks will know that I have been moving home, with some degree of difficulty. I’ve managed to continue with my weekly blog, though due to moving around between computers it appears to have caused some formatting issues. Also there have been a few typos creeping in. So apologies if you’ve considered moving onto someone else’s blog, but I hope I can get back on track and write blogs that keep you both informed and entertained. On that note, it would be nice to get some feedback on what you think of the blogs, any subjects you’d be interested in me covering. There is a place for entering public comments, I know that doesn’t always suit everybody so feel free to email me at rogalsop@googlemail.com.

I’d always known that moving home was supposed to be stressful, but if you search the internet you’ll find lists that vary it’s position from top 5 to top 10 to out of the top 10 completely. One has going to jail as higher, which I suppose it would be if you went to jail. Clearly the stats can be weighted any way you like, I’m sure more people move homes than go to jail, but how stressful is moving from jail to another jail. Anyway to cut a long discussion short, yes I agree, moving home can be stressful.

I don’t do it that often, at least I try not to, but this time, like the previous time the move was instigated through a change in job. I thought this time would be different, I’m self employed so I thought it would be easy to juggle my work commitments around house purchase activities, as long as I made sure I kept a clear space each day when I could be close to my solicitors. We left it a few weeks, from making the offer, to handing in our two months notice on the rental property, which gave us 10 weeks in a supposed chain freeish situation. Plenty of time, with a good amount of contingency, which could be put to good use decorating, etc, if we got the chance.

But as it turned out, the original expected completion date was missed, in fact it was only then that we realised how far we were away as many things had not been carried out by the vendors, on the plus side we’d done everything the solicitors asked, ahead of time – planning never too far away from my heart. Despite missing the first expected completion date we still had the contingency and the vendors were now pushing to get their end sorted, but as it turned out this didn’t work out either. An extension of a few days in rented and then the short move from Northwich to Northwich became a move from Northwich to Holmes Chapel to Northwich. Half our stuff went into storage and the other half went into my parents house, along with us, and my sister’s house. Thank goodness for families, though they may not be feeling the same way. Of course mum and dad wouldn’t take any money so I gave my mum a free kettlebell session instead, boy was I impressed as she swung the kettle around like a sprightly teenager, managing two sets of 5 exercises, not bad for a 76 year old. She would have done more but ‘Loose Women’ got in the way.

Naturally my training had to suffer as I was packing and shifting, but I was still able to continue training on a daily basis. Runs were kept short, to 6 miles, and abs/core and Kettles were kept to 15 minute segments. Completion took place on 3 June and, as I was due to race the following day, it coincided with a rest day. Some rest day, spent directing, and helping, the removal men, moving carloads of stuff from Holmes Chapel to Northwich and spending the afternoon cleaning the kitchen, which I have to say was in a pretty poor state. Once again my mum showed she’s not ready for the retirement home yet as she joined me on scrubbing duty.

Saturday, race day. The Peter Lowe Memorial 5k at Hollins Green. I ran this race last year, finishing 5th in 16:03, and really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. Spectrum Striders organise the event and they’re a really nice bunch too. Bill, who organises the Pennington Flash Parkruns was also there and it was nice to see him get a run for a change, though he was the official last man so I’m sure it was an easy one for him. After all the cleaning and shifting, I wasn’t exactly in the mood for a race, but with it being a nice sunny and warm day, and seeing an opportunity for a break from unpacking and cleaning I decided to give it a go, albeit I decided on taking it steady and having a social run instead of trying to achieve anything. (Social runs don’t feature in my vocabulary very often, I usually use the term cross country). I did run steady, though I ran a faster steady than I expected, I really enjoyed myself, though the last km was uphill and into the wind and seemed to go on forever. Surprised with 12th position and first M45 in 16:39. Ray, who’s been training really well with me, knocked over 30 seconds off his pb with a 22:17 clocking and Carole, who doesn’t get out much, found it really enjoyable too, but obviously didn’t run hard enough as she had a kick left at the end. Once again the organisation was faultless and the fun run went smoothly too. The only down side for me was the attitude of a runner from Styal AC. I’m always very grateful for all the support I get at races so as soon as I finish I jog back along the course, thanking the marshals and encouraging the runners still coming in. This particular idiot, not happy with my support, told me to F Off. I had the last laugh though as I jogged back I saw him lying on the grass totally breathless, that’s the kind of attitude we don’t need in athletics, particularly at an event where there are so many children around.

It’s now Wednesday, a little later than usual for my blog, but I’ve had a busy time with clients, shopping and unpacking. Today we’ve had a washing machine and dishwasher fitted and we’re thinking about a new cooker and decorators and doing stuff with the garden. Last night I had my first client to use my new gym, it also needs decorating and I need to organise my equipment and also bring some stuff down from Edinburgh, but it was nice to use it.

1 comment:

  1. but when you run crap you dont like to be cheered on either. I outrun you in winbledon 5k and you were so moody

    ReplyDelete