Monday 13 January 2014

Who’s Aging Now

I’ve been around the running scene for twenty five years, not as long as some of my peers but longer than some have lasted, perhaps I should be celebrating a silver jubilee after all I’m not used to sticking at something this long. I’m not sure what it is about running that’s made me stick to it, particularly as I’ve been through some particularly rough patches, but I’m not ready to give up on it yet. In fact I hope I’m still running in twenty five years time, though I accept I’ll be a lot slower by then. It doesn’t actually feel like twenty five years to me, perhaps I’ve enjoyed it too much, as I have such vivid memories of many of my races. Alas it is so, I am no longer the naïve twenty four year old, on Thursday I will turn forty nine, a bit older, a bit wiser, but still as eager to perform at my best.

I recall the early days, training from Belgrave Hall, seeing all the old men turning out for the Veterans races and thinking that I didn’t intend still running when I was their age, yet here I am, their age and beyond, and still running. I sometimes wonder what my younger club mates or the youngsters who toe the line of my races think as they look at this old man having the nerve to challenge them to a race, but at the end of the day it matters not a jot what they think and everything about what I think.

Funnily enough, although I’m quite happy to joke about my age and rapidly receding hairline, I don’t actually view myself as old. Perhaps it’s because I can’t actually see myself running, in my head I’m still the 29 year old who led the National 12 stage for almost the whole of my leg, or the 36 year old who led the National 12 stage for all of my leg, or even the 41 year old who took over in 2nd in the Scottish road relays and handed over in the lead. Even though I’m now much slower, I’ll always feel I’m as good as I ever was, relatively speaking of course.
Leading the National 12 Stage in 1994, with International Terry West ready to pounce.
South of England 12 stage 2002, spot the difference
2013 Alsager 5, getting a little harder to lift that knee

Speaking of old runners it was good to hear of so many past greats turning out to support Herne Hill Harriers in Saturday’s Surrey League event, celebrating both 125 years of HHH existence and the life of HHH stalwart Stan Allen. I would have liked to have been there myself, having 17 years of Surrey Leagues behind me. Of course at Salford, we always have a number of past greats making up the numbers in our races, it’s inspirational to see so many of the O60s still taking part, still so enthusiastic, if nothing else it makes me feel young. But the Salford Masters don’t just make up the numbers, they make a difference, you have to be good to beat them. This Sunday we won the Men’s event in the Manchester Cross Country League, the six man team included M50 Derek Crewe and M60 Stan Owen – now that’s going some.

79 year old John Gebbels, proving age is no barrier


Written by Roger Alsop


Photos with thanks to Alan Mead, Rex Bale, Ray O'Donaghue and Bryan Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment