Wednesday 26 February 2014

The Cold War

As I wrote last week’s blog I had no idea what a horrible week I was about to endure. I mentioned, in the blog, I felt I had maybe been affected in the previous Saturday’s race and Sunday’s training by a cold coming on. At the time I wrote the blog it felt like something that would soon pass over, how wrong I was. I managed to run some fast quality reps on Tuesday night and I was looking forward to gradually increasing the pace as I try to make my mark on the 2014 road racing scene. But I was wrong, I awoke on Wednesday and my body had been taken over by this horrible virus. I was weak, I was coldy and I was struggling for breath.

I’m a great believer that getting out in the fresh air is of more benefit to you than sitting at home watching TV, dosing up on lemsips and feeling sorry for yourself, so I attempted an easy run. The attempt failed, it wasn’t easy in fact it was hard work running slow. Still hopeful that it was a temporary situation I attempted another go at an easy run on Thursday. It was no easier, in fact it was harder, so hard I think I might have enjoyed a run around Boggarts Hole Clough more, though it’s a close call. This time I abandoned the run early. I then made the decision to take a break from training.

With the pseudo mother-in-law visiting for the weekend this would give me a great opportunity to spend time with her, taking her for walks in the Cheshire countryside. Friday was a couple of hours up the river Weaver to Vale Royal Abbey and back, the fresh air did make me feel better but I was still struggling with a bunged up nose that evening. On Saturday I was working whilst Carole looked after her mum, so it was only little peeks at fresh air, but I was beginning to notice recovery was on the way.

Sunday we did a round trip to Shropshire, visiting places of historical note that I’d not visited before. It was a great opportunity to get some fresh air as we were restricted to how far we could walk by my cold and my pseudo m-i-l’s age.

The first place we aimed for was Telford, named after Thomas Telford, of iron bridge fame, or better known by me for having had some of the country’s finest road runners. We skirted around Telford as the bridge is actually in Ironbridge, now there’s a coincidence.    
It may look like just another bridge to you, but this one's famous.
I was pleasantly surprised with the place, I expected it to be an interesting bridge across the river, but the village is very attractive and houses lots of museums featuring the various industries that occupied the gorge the village is situated in. Sadly none of them appeared to be open on Sunday. We had a wander along the river and up the valley side a little and then it was off to the next place.
I wanted to go to Shrewsbury as I’d been told it was a nice place, but Much Wenlock is not far away from Ironbridge and, as the home of the Olympian Games, surely worth a visit from a modern day Olympic games watcher. I hadn’t actually expected there to be much in Wenlock but, again, I was surprised, another attractive village with a part Norman church and ruinous abbey, plus it had a museum, which had a good display about the Olympian Games.

Then onto Shrewsbury, birthplace of Charles Darwin and T’Pau. I even have a running friend in Shrewsbury, but I try not to impose my family on my running friends, nor my running friends on my family. A wander around the town revealed an attractive place, but it was a bit difficult finding your way in first time round, I could have used sat nav but that’s got me lost more times than Carole.
It's an evolutionary place is Shrewsbury
Yes Shrewsbury was nice but I’m glad we made a round trip of it instead of just a day trip to Shrewsbury, we’d seen everything in a couple of hours, but I will go back, given enough inducement.
With the weekend over and the pseudo m-i-l on her way back to an independence vote it was back to the running on Monday. Still suffering with the cold it was slow and steady. I’m improving daily but any ambitions for a good road race time will have to be put on hold for a while as I build up my fitness and my confidence.

Ah I hear you say, I thought this was a fitness blog, not a travel blog, and so it is. The message is clear, if you have a cold, get some fresh air, but don’t push yourself in training. I’ve run with a cold before and strained my heart doing so, it’s not worth it, this time I was sensible and put my ambition on hold, the cold won’t last but my ambition will. I’m playing the long game, what I can’t win this year I will have another shot at another year.

Written by Roger Alsop

No comments:

Post a Comment