Monday 16 June 2014

Don’t Let It Get You Down

I’ve had good times, my personal bests for all distances above 400m (excepting the steeplechase, which just goes to show Rog can’t jump) are pretty respectable, I’ve got a box full of medals and I’ve represented my country, in fact I’ve represented my Wifey’s country too (and she still won’t forgive me for that). I’m far from being a household name but I’ve been a ‘known’ runner within the running community and, I think, I have the respect of my peers for what I’ve achieved and how I’ve conducted myself as a runner. But, I’ve also had times where I’ve been out injured, I’ve struggled to run to the form I know I can achieve or I’ve just felt like I’m going nowhere. During these periods of poor form it would be so easy to accept defeat and stop training hard, run for fitness but don’t push yourself, after all it hurts to train hard, doesn’t it. But I’m a stubborn old git and I tend to push through it, punishing myself for no apparent return, until one day you turn a corner and you’re back in competitive mode.

I know many former star runners who no longer compete, some had injuries that just wouldn’t be fixed, others retired for reasons of their own, I never ask. Perhaps one reason I keep going is that I was never a schoolboy wonder, when I first started running my first 5k was over 18 minutes, so a 17 minute 5k, whilst significantly slower than my best, just doesn’t seem that bad.
I may not have been a star athlete in 1990, but I'd learnt how to win, and how to hold onto my watch picture as I crossed the line
The good times came to me in 1993 when I won my 1st Surrey 10000m title, with a time of 30:33.7. Until that point I’d been a gradually improving club runner who was reliable but of B team standard. That victory propelled me into the big time, within six weeks I was running at Crystal Palace in the UK Champs. In front of full house I came dead last in the 3000m, yet, because of my previous lack of form, I was still able to walk away with a pb. I never became that big but I was always a contender in Surrey Champs and even won an individual South of England silver medal. 1993-1996 were my first peak.
getting ready to pounce past Mike Boyle to win my first major title, the Surrey 10000m, 1993
The good times came to a halt at the end of 1996, I’d won my first cross country race, the South of Thames Junior, in November and was in the form of my life. I had high hopes of a good position in the County Cross Country Champs, which were taking place in December, even had thoughts of a possible win (though I hadn’t expected Internationals Gary Staines and Jon Solly to turn up). But a week before the race I went down with a cold, a really bad cold. I rested up but really wanted to do the race. By the Saturday morning I was feeling fine so I went for a mile jog, it was easy, great I was able to race. That afternoon I hit the 1 mile point, in the 7.5 mile race, and it was like hitting a wall. I had nothing, I pushed through, hurting like hell as runner after runner took a place away from me. It was all I could do to hang onto 18th place, the consolation being that Belgrave won the team event for the first time in 30 years.

I rested after the race and I really struggled in January, I couldn’t work it out so eventually I went to the doctors and it turned out I’d been lucky, I’d only strained my heart. Rest and a gradual increase in training activity were prescribed. 1997, by the previous three years standards, wasn’t a great year, though I still managed 3rd in the Surrey 5000m Champs and 10th in the Surrey Cross Country Champs, despite fracturing my metatarsal in May and having a further nine weeks rest. In 1998 I tried hard to regain my form of 1996 and was rewarded by my body telling me enough was enough, it broke down and I was out for a further 5 months. In all honesty I thought that was it, I couldn’t see myself getting back running, there was one defining moment that made me want to try again though – One sunny day as I was walking through Regents Park a runner from another club came past and said, in a disparaging way, ‘didn’t you used to be a runner’ – well that was like a red rag to a bull, he’d never come close to beating me and I had a feeling he never would.
As you can imagine it was slow progress at first, my first race back was in December, the Surrey Cross Country Champs, where I finished 66th. I was back though and over the summer managed to get my 5000m times back to low 15 minutes, clearly I wasn’t as good as I’d been but I showed flashes of my old form with a win in the Surrey 10000m and the 3rd fastest man in the Surrey Road Relays. Soon after I was off to Germany and the lack of distractions, housework, girlfriend, meant I was able to fully focus my training, when I wasn’t working.
A little less hair and past my best but still able to win the Wimbledon 10k in 31:56 and avoid being run over by a Jag
2000 started great, I set a huge pb when winning the Sidcup 10 and ran my 2nd fastest 10k time a few weeks later, 31:04. Solid running continued until I tore my calf muscle in the Surrey 5000m Champs. It was another setback and another tough summer. I was now 35, I couldn’t see me having many years left at my peak. The next couple of years I was there or thereabouts but I was more of an also ran, though, on my day, I pulled off the odd race win in times that I’d be very happy to get within a minute of now. My decision to run the 2003 London Marathon meant I was training even harder than I’d done before and prior to the marathon I was in great shape. My marathon time, 2:34.10 was no great shakes compared by my peers but that 1st marathon is like going into the unknown and I was just glad I managed to get round as my brain had been telling me to pull out from about 9 miles. The bonus being Belgrave took silver in the South of England Champs.

Following the marathon I really struggled to get any form back, sure there were a couple of 10ks run sub 32 minutes, but they were the exception rather than the rule. At the time I was approaching 40 and saw this as a reason to keep running. I was being realistic now, I couldn’t see me regaining my best ever form and one thing that had kept me going was fighting to keep my place in a very strong Belgrave team, I needed that fight to keep going but now Belgrave was overrun with young talent, I needed a Masters team to give me something to aim for. Belgrave just didn’t have the focus, so I took the tough decision to leave and join Herne Hill. Incentive in place I was running well, winning my 1st Masters race and placing 1st M40 at the Alsager 5, and then a torn hamstring put paid to the summer that had promised so much.

I managed to get back to form to help Herne Hill win the British Masters Cross Country Relay Champs, but then another change I was off to Scotland and years of shift work. I ran ok in Scotland, particularly in that first year. But I was definitely slowing down, it was an opportunistic Rog who found himself in the Edinburgh AC team that won the Scottish Road Relays in 2006, I took full advantage of my relay experience by taking EAC into the lead, which we kept to the end. After that my form started to dwindle as my body felt more and more tired from the ravages of night shift. I had some reasonable runs in that time but I was a different athlete to the one I’d been in London.
Edinburgh days, still got a turn of speed on the odd occasion
A 33:10 10k in 2009, aged 44, showed I could still pull out a good run but I did little else for the rest of the year, the job, the niggles, the uncertainties over redundancy and the studying to become a Personal Trainer all seemed to take their toll. At the back end of 2009 my life in Scotland was over, Carole, who I’d been with for a couple of years, took a position in Cheshire and I had to make a decision about my future. The offer of redundancy helped and I left behind my IT career, completed my training and started life in Cheshire, as a Personal Trainer.

It was a hard time trying to get established in a new area, particularly as we were living in a small village, but it did give me the time to train hard and 2010 started with a bang, 1st M45 at Alsager, in a time faster than when I’d been 1st M40 5 years earlier, 20th and 1st M45 at the Trafford 10k, in my fastest 10k for years, 32:19, and 2nd in the BMAF Cross Country Champs. Those were the good times, a little niggle helped me to lose form but I was still good enough to take 2nd in the BMAF 5k Champs and 3rd in the European Masters 10000m Champs. After that I was exhausted, my form dwindled and a succession of niggles and injuries have stopped me from regaining that form. I’ve had good runs during the four years that have passed, I’ve won quite a few medals too, but in particular these last two years have been a real struggle for me, going from injury to injury. It’s the closest I’ve got to retirement since 1998, but there’s something encouraging about seeing my mates and Salford colleagues running well and it’s kept me going. This year’s been really hard I’ve had to work really hard to run slow times, but these last three weeks I’ve been managing to train properly for the first time in two years, yes there’s been pain but not the pain you get when you’re training through an injury. A few weeks ago I ran a 5k at the fast Christleton event and it was hard work to just break 17:30. Yesterday I took part in the BMAF 5k Champs and felt much better running 17:11. Ok, I know, It’s nothing special, the winning M45 time was 15:37 and there were three more M45s under 16 minutes, including my team mate Gerry O’Neill, but it’s progress towards something better and that’ll keep me in the game for a few weeks more.
Back to form in 2005, 2nd BMAF XC M45
After all these years I know that all that’s stopping me from getting back to the top of my form is a period of consistent hard training, I’m hopeful I’ll get the chance to prove I’m right.

Written by Roger Alsop

No comments:

Post a Comment