Friday 24 October 2014

Obsessions of a Runner?

It’s a debate I’ve had many times, with Carole, she thinks I’m obsessive about running and I think I’m just pretty good at it and feel the need to give it my best shot. I’ll admit there are things about me that aren’t attractive but I don’t think I’m an obsessive. I think that people who do things differently are seen as obsessive, and sometimes I’m the one thinking others are obsessive.

So to set the record straight, and get Carole off my case here are some things others may think are obsessive and my explanation of why I don’t, and some of the things I see as a bit obsessive in other runners that I know. Of course this isn’t a be all and end all list, I’m sure there are some other runners out there battling with other obsessive/non obsessive tendencies and of course non runners who might equally fall into the category of obsessiveness.  

Before I start on the running side of things there is one area where I feel I share a common ‘obsession’ with other male friends, and that is around the loading of a dishwasher. It just makes sense to me to put items in the slots that allow maximum utilisation of the space provided with the best possibility of getting everything cleaned within one application of the dishwasher cycle, so why do the women I know think that jamming everything in but wasting space is more effective?

Right onto the running nonsense:

Mileage - Runners like to keep a log of everything they do in training. Some logs are written in a huge amount of detail, it’s almost a confessional. Me, I just write down how long I ran for, what type of session I did (fartlek, reps (how many)) and how many miles I think that was. Of course I don’t use a garmin (we’ll come to that later) so my mileage is a guess, but it’s been a guess for 25 years so what’s the problem. Oh dear I hear people say, how can you use that as a training guide if you’re not keeping accurate information, to which I reply, it’s accurate to me, I’m not obsessive about my mileage and I do use the diaries to remind myself how I was running at a particular time in my life, it helps me to remember more about the training I did. Sometimes I add in where I was and who I was with, what the weather was like and even if I had an injury or an illness. I do add up the wholly inaccurate mileage at the end of a week, month and year, because I like statistics but to me it’s not about how much mileage I’ve done it’s about how I’ve performed in races that counts, and I know that one can be directly influenced by the other, positively and negatively but….non obsessive! As well as my training log I also keep a record of every race I’ve ever run, including clippings, well who wouldn’t.

Over the years I’ve come across athletes from different countries and at one point Belgrave Hall used to be a Kiwi meeting place. Some of my Kiwi pals told me the story of how, on a night out, one of their running mates asked if they could run to the pictures so that he could get in the required mileage for that week, this being the final day of the week. Now I don’t know if the story is true, some of our fellow runners can be a little loose with the truth, especially when you get them on the beer, but it sounds like the sort of obsessive attitude one would expect from some runners.

Collections – I do collect things, I don’t think it’s obsessive, maybe at times just a bad habit. I’ve come across friends who have a back catalogue of running magazines, not me, I read them, maybe cut out a particular article that might be of use in the future, and then I chuck them out. But like many of the guys in the Facebook group ‘I was, Or Am A Runner !’, that I’m a part of, we’re now enjoying the benefit of seeing old results posted by those clever chaps who managed to hold onto their old magazines. Having said that I do have copies of my old club magazines, Belgrave and Herne Hill, but mostly for egotistical reasons, i.e. I featured in them.

I don’t collect race numbers, after the race I take them off as soon as possible and throw them in the bin or recycling box. Though by accident, i.e. somebody once presented me with the numbers I wore on my International debut (Masters disclaimer here, I’m not famous) in a presentation case so I’ve been keeping International championship numbers ever since.

I keep all my medals, most of them mean quite a lot to me, but I don’t really display them anywhere, I just keep them in a box for when I’m old and bored. I’ve got hundreds of them and if I start winning some more I’m going to have to get a bigger box, or another box. I remember being misquoted by somebody at Edinburgh AC when I once said that I didn’t enter races to win money but that I considered myself to be a championship runner who ran for medals rather than money. This came back to me as Roger only runs if there’s a medal, but then people are so easily misunderstood.
A box of medals

I have kept every team singlet I’ve ever worn and owned. After 25 years you may think that they’re a bit tatty, like those we sometimes see on some runners, but no, my policy was always to wear a club singlet in races but not in training. Of course once I’ve left a club that gives me training rights over that club’s singlet so eventually they will make the grand depart. I even still have my very first Belgrave singlet, which I think was made out of wool and probably accounts for why I finished 129th in my first cross country race, but it sits at the bottom of a drawer awaiting a revival when, once again, wool is the singlet of choice. I have a mate who frames his singlet every time he wins a national championship, they do look good on his walls, but I’m not sure people wouldn’t think I was obsessive if I started to do that and I know Carole wouldn’t approve, plus I don’t actually have enough space.
Team Singlets, worn by me. South of England, Belgrave Harriers (the adidas years), Herne Hill Harrriers, Scottish Masters, Belgrave again (kept a sheep warm), Edinburgh AC (with the old name) England Masters, Salford Harriers

I have rather a large collection of trainers, why wouldn’t I, I need different trainers for different occasions; racers for dry days, racers for wet days, racers for roads that might have mud on them or sections of gravel paths, cross country spikes, trail shoes, track spikes, trainers for plodding, trainers for speed work, trainers for gym work and used trainers for putting out the rubbish. Naturally I have my trainers on rotation and currently a couple of pairs sitting in boxes waiting to be used. In fact I have more trainers than shoes, I’m sure Carole isn’t happy about how many pairs I’ve got littering the hallway but then I don’t have as many wardrobes full of clothes as her so it’s not an argument about to happen.  

Those cotton t-shirts you get given at races, yes I keep them all, I find them quite useful for wearing in the sun as I don’t like to ruin my nice t-shirts with suncream. I also use them to change into after a run if I’m out somewhere and need to drive to somewhere else and I use them down the gym. They do get thrown away when they get grubby but, because I have so many, I see nothing odd about wearing one from a race that occurred 15 years ago. Carole has a different opinion on that but why waste a good t-shirt just because it’s part of history.

As I’m still running and thanks to digital media, I have a growing collection of photographs of me running. It’s rare I look good in action but I still have to keep them, they’re a record of my past and I’m sure I’ll look a hell of a lot worse in the future. I’m sure every runner must keep pictures of themselves in action or holding a trophy so I can’t see this as any kind of obsession. Keeping photos of other runners maybe…..

Food and drink – As a PT I often get asked about nutrition and yes I do know about and advise upon nutrition, but I prefer the non diet method; cut back and eventually out the junk, watch portion size but don’t eat too little as well as too much, keep drinking fluid and be careful about alcohol consumption. I feel that I eat and drink in a well balanced way, with occasional blowouts, I’m only human, but I am careful what I eat and drink the day before and the day of a race, particularly an important race. In fact contrary to normal advice I drink very little water before a race, though I try to ensure I am hydrated, reason being I’ve found that water sloshing around in my stomach doesn’t suit me. I’ve experimented with food and found what works for me, sometimes it stops working so I have to change, but I also eat very little on race day. I can get away with stored energy on the runs I do. I know my body and how it ticks, you have to find your own thing. Like a lot of the runners from my era I did used to drink the night before races, though only occasionally to excess, I still enjoy a drink the night before, just depends how fit I am and how important the race is as to how much I drink, but beer is out, I can no longer handle beer before a race, though after is a different story.

Garmin/Strava/MapMyRun – As I’ve written previously, I do keep a log of my training but I don’t upload anything to the computer. Partly because I’ve never owned a garmin, have always liked using small watches, and can’t be bothered with the faff, the casio suits my purposes. I have many friends who upload everything and whilst I can see the benefit that can be derived from using technology I’m happy with what I’ve done. I know when I’m running well, I don’t need anything or anyone else to tell me. I also know (and here’s the psychology) when I’m not running well but I don’t need technology to tell me I’m running worse than I think I am, plus, whilst I’m quite open about my training, I never lay it all out for my opponents to see, uploading my runs onto the internet would give away all my training secrets… I run how I feel, if I feel good I run fast, if I don’t I don’t run fast, it’s simple really.

So having written this blog and gone through various pointers it’s clear I’m not obsessive, just a little different. It’s also made me realise that some of my friends aren’t as obsessive as I thought they were, though they’re still more obsessive than me.

Written by Roger Alsop


No comments:

Post a Comment