Thursday 8 January 2015

Changing the M50 Goalposts

After a bad cold and an Achilles flare up put paid to racing in December I was looking forward to our Xmas and New Year celebrations, particularly as we were off to Spain. With everything functioning well and warm bright weather to hand I managed to get in a good ten days of training and was looking forward to getting home and having one last race as an M45.

Unfortunately two days after my return I contracted the worse cold I’ve ever had, which has meant stopping all training, eating very little, shivering in our sauna of a house, spending daytime hours in bed and having some very strange recurring, and quite boring, dreams (must be the 10000m runner in me). With two days until the weekend my constant headache tells me that I won’t be recovered to enjoy the weekend, let alone race. I’d also planned to race just after my birthday, wanted to capitalise on my new age group, afterall I was first in my 1st race as an M40 and 1st M40 at the Alsager 5, and then I was first M45 at Alsager again and the Trafford 10k, but I think that weekend is probably out of the window too.

I was also starting to make plans for all sorts of races I wanted to do well in, but I’m just going to have to wait and see how I recover before making any commitments.
So for the time being I’m going to chill, run for fun and help others to meet their goals until I’m ready to come back to mine.

It’s not the best news but I know so many talented athletes that can no longer run and others who no longer have the desire to push themselves, so I count myself lucky.

Written by Roger Alsop

No comments:

Post a Comment