Monday 7 December 2015

The Speedway Reunion

It’s been a while since I’ve written a blog, afraid work has kept me busy. I’ve been planning this one for a little while, about a passion I’ve rekindled for a sport I used to watch when I was young. It has nothing to do with fitness, so apologies to anyone wanting to find out the latest gimmick on the fitness front, or what’s been going on in my running world, rather it’s an opportunity to introduce you to a sport that is relatively cheap to watch live, you get to see every inch of the circuit without having to move and it is full of drama. The sport I am referring to is Speedway, have you heard of it? Well it would appear that most of my friends haven’t, as they draw a blank when I say I’m going to a speedway meeting. I find this a real shame because I feel it is an exciting sport to watch and the fans, generally, create a friendly atmosphere. Plus it’s a sport whereby you can actually get to meet the competitors on a regular basis.

For the benefit of those who do not know anything about speedway here’s a quick synopsis:

Speedway is a sport where four riders race against each other on motorbikes that have a fixed gear and no brakes. They race over four laps of a shale/dirt covered circuit, oval in shape, each circuit varying in size but not much different to that of a running track (one circuit). That is a slight generalisation, if you want a more in-depth explanation here’s an extract from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_speedway

For me speedway was something I was into during the 70s and 80s but when I got caught by the running bug, 1989, that, and the fact that speedway started to disappear in London, it spelt the death knell for my speedway spectating. It’s only this year that I’ve got back into it, prompted by seeing a facebook friend was a member of the ‘Speedway Friends’ group, set up by former rider, Karl Fiala. I thought I’d join and, like a running group I’m in, it features many pictures from the past, and has many ex and current riders on it’s membership. This prompted me to start going along to my nearest track and the rest will become apparent towards the end of this blog.

I don’t have much recollection of my earliest involvement with speedway, my dad would take us along to Belle Vue and I have occasional flashbacks of some of the more stylish leathers that were on show, but as for actual memories of races I don’t have any until the mid 70s. In fact one of the things that sticks in my mind from those early days was a brawl between the Belle Vue and Leicester riders, and fans, hardly endorsing my earlier comments about friendliness. But then it’s a tough sport, riding a motorbike at high speed around a short course surrounded by a fence and riders can, and do, crash frequently. Thankfully, I’ve never seen a fatality, though I have seen some serious crashes. Of course, over the years there have been many fatalities and riders leaving the sport disabled, even recently, despite all the safety measures. But it’s such an exciting sport to watch, and must be even more exciting to ride, that the danger doesn’t seem to put off new riders coming through, just as in the early days of the aeroplane people sought excitement, despite the risks.

Whilst Belle Vue was my first experience of speedway, it was at Ellesmere Port, home of the Gunners, where I grew to love the sport. We started going to watch Ellesmere Port in 1976 and I became an avid fan. I have many memories of watching The Gunners in action at Thornton Road, and on the few times that we travelled to watch The Gunners away. Ellesmere Port were in the 2nd tier, whereas Belle Vue were a top tier team, but that didn’t matter to me, what we may have lacked in household names we never lacked any enthusiasm or commitment. Another major difference in this division was that you felt you could get closer to the riders, who, at Thornton Road, had to walk through the crowd to get to the showers.
My Ellesmere Port Gunners Scarf

Initially Ellesmere Port were quite successful, finishing 2nd in the league, to Newcastle. It was Newcastle who knocked us out of the knock out cup, in the semi-finals. John Jackson, our top rider, was 2nd to Newcastle’s Joe Owen in the National League riders championship, but came out on top, with Chris Turner, in the National League pairs, against Newcastle’s Joe and Tom Owen. Plus we were 3rd in the final of the National League four team tournament. It was also the year that Belle Vue’s Peter Collins won the World Speedway Championship, the first Britain since Peter Craven (another Belle Vue rider) in 1963.

With out and out National League star, Joe Owen, due to move up to the top division in 1977, it was looking like Ellesmere Port could challenge for the top spot, especially as we still had the services of John Jackson, alongside a youthful, but talented team. It was not to be, Eastbourne emerged as the successors to Newcastle, with a very solid squad as the Gunners dropped to 3rd place. Perhaps too much youth was the problem but it was the policy to try to bring riders through the Saturday morning training school, and it did produce some great future speedway riders. Again we were defeated in the Semi-final of the knock out cup, to Eastbourne. Not getting past the first round of the pairs and only to the semi final stage of the fours, and with Jacko only managing 6th in the individual event, it was a bit of a downer compared to 76, but third place was not to be sniffed at and the racing at Thornton Road was always enjoyable. 77 also saw the emergence and rapid rise of the third of the five Collins brothers, Phil. Peter was world champion in 76 and runner up in 77, Les would be runner up in 1982, Phil had tough acts to follow.

With the same solid backbone of Jacko and Steve Finch and the improving Phil Collins, 1978 looked like it could be the Gunners year, but in the league it was once again disappointment. Unbeaten at home but with only 5 away wins we could only manage 5th in the League. We were still good entertainment and I’m sure opposition teams looked forward to our visits. Jacko was again top dog, in the best form ever for Ellesmere Port he was 3rd in the overall National League averages (Steve Finch was 12th and Phil Collins 20th, both showing great improvement), 2nd in the National League Riders Championship and together with Steve Finch he won the National League Pairs Championship, remaining unbeaten on the night, with Steve Finch only dropping a point in one race. We made the final of the National League Fours competition, finishing joint 3rd with Canterbury. Once again we failed to make the final of the cup competition, losing to Canterbury in the quarter finals. Phil Collins really made his mark this year, improving all year, he, like his elder brothers, Peter and Les, before, won the Junior Championship of the British Isles and was promptly picked up by Cradley Heath for the following year, going for a British record transfer fee of £15,000.

Without Phil Collins for 1979, but still with Jacko and Finch what were our prospects going to be? Paul Tyrer, a star at Ellemere Port before my time, had rejoined the previous year but hadn’t shown consistent form and in 1979 he appeared to struggle, it wasn’t long before he retired. The rest of the team consisted of young up and coming riders and it was left to Louis Carr to take over the heat leader role vacated by Phil Collins. Whilst not quite matching Phil’s point scoring, he did a pretty good job. Steve Finch did a great job all season, knocking Jacko off the top of the averages for the first time since Jacko joined, finishing 6th in the overall averages. Perhaps this is where Jacko’s gradual decline started, he was well down on the average he’d achieved the previous year, though still 9th ranked in the overall averages across the National League. Jacko was still the king around Thornton Road, but was struggling more with his form away from home. With Jacko misfiring a little away from home, a third heat leader who wasn’t quite ready for the responsibility and more youngsters getting their first opportunities of team action, understandably Ellesmere Port didn’t have a great season, they could only manage a mid table 9th and were knocked out in the 1st round of the cup competition by league champions elect, Mildenhall. Jacko was once again our representative at the NLRC, but didn’t feature on the podium. On the bright side though Jacko and Finch nearly managed to hold onto their National League Pairs championship, finishing 2nd to Milton Keynes and on a far brighter note, we won the National League Fours championship, for the first time. So not a great season but we had things to cheer and, the racing at Thornton road was always exciting. This was also the year Ivan Mauger became the most successful rider in World Championship history, winning his 6th, and final, world individual title.

1980 – Jacko’s gradual decline continued, no longer the king of Thornton Road as both Steve Finch and Louis Carr surpassed his home average. Steve Finch produced consistently good results away from home, showing further improvement from last year and a near 10 point overall average again placed him 6th in the National League averages, with Jacko slipping to 29th and Louis Carr not far behind in 33rd. Looking through the Speedway Yearbook there were lots of high scores for Jacko, but it was the end of season that saw his average go down, for what reason I do not know but from 17 Aug to the end of the season he only had one double figure score, and that was from 5 rides, plus an 8 paid 10 from 4 rides. His average ended below the 9 point mark. The second stringers and reserves were now more experienced but there were just too many meetings narrowly lost, which meant we finished even lower in the league than last year, 10th. In the cup we were again knocked out in the first round, to a Berwick team that went all the way. In the pairs, Jacko and Finch narrowly missed out on qualifying for the semi-finals and in the fours it was 3rd place in a narrowly contested final. Steve Finch made his debut in the NLRC, finishing a fine 3rd, my brother was working for him at the time and I remember Steve dropping him off, very late, that night. This was also the year Mike Lee became the next British Rider to win the World Speedway Championship.

Having sold off Louis and Peter Carr to Belle Vue, in 1980, for a new record fee (surpassing that of Phil and Neil Collins), it was another case of rebuild for 1981. The sale agreement gave Peter another year in the NL with the Gunners, but would he be able to replace his older brother? Newcomer, loaned from Halifax, Australian Rob Ashton started in reserve and produced some great results from the off, quickly moving up into the team and providing solid work. Peter Carr struggled at first but by the end of the season was scoring well to improve his average. Billy Burton came in from Stoke, as Pete Ellams went the other way, another solid scorer at home. Steve Finch was once again top man, but with a reduced average on the previous year and Jacko, whilst scoring well at home, didn’t seem to travel as well and also seemed to suffer a number of uncharacteristic engine failures at home which kept his average well down on his usual and even led to him moving from his traditional no. 1 position, sometimes filling in the 2nd string role. Phil Alderman, Paul Embley, Pete Ellams (before his Stoke move) and Eric Monaghan were solid riders and there were some big scores at home. But away form and three home losses and a draw meant we only finished 11th, the worst league position since I started supporting. In the cup, now run over 16 heats we were pretty poor, in the first round we lost at home to Wolves, but managed to beat them away to go through but in the second round we were absolutely trounced at home, 30-64, to Mildenhall, before suffering worse at West Row, 76-20, to go out. I went up to watch the National League pairs championship, only to come away disappointed after seeing Jacko and Finch lose each of their three rides by 5-1, and we didn’t qualify for the Finals of the 4s. All in all a pretty poor season, which is why there were some changes coming in 1982.

The league races format changed for 1982, clearly the 16 heats in the cup had been deemed such a success that the league matches were increased from their traditional 13 heats to match this. Teamwise it was still nearly the same team as the previous year for Ellesmere Port, Rob Ashton had moved on and Peter Carr was now in the Belle Vue team. We started the season with Billy Burton, Steve Finch and newcomer Rob Maxfield leading the team. Eric Monaghan took on the captaincy, with Jacko down as a second stringer, due to his drop in average from the 1981 season. The experienced Phil Alderman was back in reserve position, joined by Rob Tate, until Glen Parrott broke into the team and made an exceptional start. It was probably a bit of a kick in the pants for Jacko, starting the season as the 4th best rider in the team, based on averages, and he was soon piling up some big scores, ending the season back in the top position, it was great to see him riding so confidently. Another notable change was Mike Lohmann taking over the team manager role from long term manager Joe Shaw.  As the season went on Jacko seemed to relish being no1. Again and was scoring solidly, though he still encountered a few gremlins with his engine along the way. Ably backed by Steve Finch and Rob Maxfield and with Eric Monaghan, Phil Alderman and Glen Parrott scoring well we were generally able to cope with a mid-season misfiring Billy Burton, who found himself relegated to reserve. We suffered uncharacteristic home losses against Mildenhall and Newcastle, but it was a much better season for us, finishing 3rd in the league. We made it to our first cup final, but lost to the mighty Newcastle. There was another cup, the Super Nat Koc, we reached the semi finals of that and rode against Mildenhall, but then my stack of programmes comes to an end so I don’t know what happened next and I have no recollection of how we fared in the pairs or fours that season.

Little did I know that this was the beginning of the end, not just for Ellesmere Port, but for my own speedway watching. Ellesmere never made it to the tapes for the 1983 season. The loyal, but dwindling crowds just didn’t make it a viable option for the promoters. So for the 1983 season we found ourselves watching our local rivals, Stoke Potters, though it felt a little like home with Jacko having joined them.

Jacko seemed to start well but, if I recall correctly, seemed to lose his spark a little and ended the season on an average around the 6 point mark. He was there again at the first meeting for the following season, was on paid 5 after two rides, came last in his next ride and didn’t take his 4th ride. For some reason I didn’t go back again until the 6th meeting by which time Jacko had retired. I went to Stoke a number of times that year, they had a great team with Tom Owen and Nigel Crabtree leading the way and it was good to see Paul Thorp starting to make his way in the speedway world. It’s also interesting to see that a young Tony Atkins was emerging in the junior races, I would come across Tony many years later when I got back into speedway after my break, he remains a Stoke asset and will ride for them in 2016, a the age of 50, I think (I know how that feels).

At the start of 1985 I moved to London, the beginning of a 20 year stint. By the time the speedway season started I was living in Ealing and working in Aldwych. I went a few times to watch Hackney, but of course the big news for me was that Ellesmere Port were back, had a great team and had changed their body colours to gold and blue. I couldn’t afford to go back up north to watch Ellesmere Port, I was working for the BBC and they didn’t pay me very well, so I had to keep in touch via the Speedway Star magazine. I managed to catch them at Rye House, my first and only visit to Hoddesdon, which I can’t remember much about other than one of the Rye House riders playing silly begger trying to upset Louis Carr, something to do with his tyre. Anyway that particular tactic didn’t work but I can’t remember the result. The only other thing I remember about that meeting was meeting up with a small bunch of travelling fans, who were great fun. The only other meeting I can remember was the National League Pairs, which Joe Owen and Louis Carr won in a spectacular final race, though Louis came off on the run in to the line and was unable to parade his trophy. I actually lost my voice that day, shouting for Louis and Joe, I said I was passionate about it, and it was such an exciting meeting. Ellesmere Port won the league that year, the first and only time. Unfortunately Joe Owen suffered paralysing injuries in the last match of the season and Ellesmere Port closed down for good. There was one final meeting at Thornton Road, a benefit meeting for Joe, held on Boxing Day, I was up for Xmas so went along. It was a strange atmosphere, and the track was too slick for decent racing and that was it. Ellesmere Port Gunners were no more. The track has remained but there has been no speedway racing since, this year the track was sold for housing development.

After that I lost interest in speedway a little, too busy partying with my new found friends in London. I did go to Wimbledon once, with my landlord, but then I started having proper relationships with girls and I was hard pressed to find one who was interested in speedway. I moved to Wimbledon in 1988 and went to a meeting at the Dons stadium in 1989, but, despite the great weather, it never took place because the St. John’s Ambulance man hadn’t turned up. I’d also discovered running by now and the Rosenheim League took place on Wednesday nights, same night as Wimbledon speedway, so that was the final nail in the coffin for my relationship with Speedway.

Years later, 2005, I moved to Edinburgh. I was interested to see that Edinburgh still had a speedway team, albeit operating from Armadale.  But with the shifts I was working I couldn’t muster up the interest to go along, plus I was still racing at a high level so put all my energy into my running.

Move on a few years and I found myself back in Cheshire. Living near Sandbach we were ideally situated to pay another visit to Loomer Road. I took a risk, last time I took a girlfriend to speedway she dumped me a few days later, what would happen with Carole? We’d been together two years and I’d moved down to be with her (though I tell my parents it was so I could be closer to them), surely she could cope with one meeting! Turned out she liked it, it was an exciting match Stoke vs Sheffield, but, for some reason we didn’t go back.

This year, as I already mentioned, I decided it was time to have another go. We, Carole (still with me), myself and my dad ventured to Stoke on May 9th, to see Stoke Potters vs Buxton Hitmen. The track wasn’t in great shape and it brought back memories of 1977 when Louis Carr and John Williams both fell in a heat two and took no further part in the meeting. This time it was Stoke reserves, Ryan MacDonald and Shaun Tedham who fell, Shaun in the rerun too. Both reserves were out for the rest of the meeting, leaving Stoke with only one rider in six of the heats. They fought well, but went down 44–45 in a last heat decider. Who should be involved in that last heat decider, scoring the 2 points for Buxton that sealed their win, only Tony Atkins, who I saw riding at Stoke back in 1984, at almost 50 he’s definitely stood the test of time. That was it, not hooked, but we were going to come back for more. The meeting with Buxton was a Sunday afternoon, which suited us more than a Saturday night, so it was a few weeks before we did make it back for another Sunday afternoon meeting, against Mildenhall. It was a dry and dusty track this time, and more fallers, visibility got so bad that the meeting was abandoned after heat 14’s original run saw three riders go down. With the result at 50-27 to Stoke, there was no point continuing.

The idea of Sunday afternoon racing was becoming quite appealing so the next speedway we went to was at Buxton, the Hitmen vs Kent Kings. This was a meeting full of surprises. For starters the track, whilst not difficult to find, is in the middle of nowhere, down a long lane. Secondly, there was bangor or hot rod racing going on at an adjacent track, at the same time, which surely reduces income for both as some fans would surely watch both. Thirdly, it was the most open circuit I’ve ever visited, not much shelter from the elements at all, but the view was pretty good. Fourthly, the track is on a slope so the back straight is lower than the start/finish straight and finally only four members of the team I’d seen at Stoke were still in the Buxton team, in fact one of that original team was now riding for Kent. One of the best things about it for me, was that you can get up really close to the track, no greyhound track between you and the action. Of course this does mean that you get a bit muddy at times but you do really feel like you’re part of the action. I got talking to a few fans and introduced to former rider Ken Eyre, which was interesting but I didn’t really know what to say as he was slightly before I started watching properly. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves but it left us debating where we should watch our speedway, Stoke is nearer and less exposed, but Buxton you feel much more of a part of it.

I went to a few more matches, we couldn’t get into a pattern because we had other commitments and the British weather meant there were a number of cancellations, Stoke had at least 5 home matches postponed and Buxton 2, but as the season went on we were getting more into our speedway, not quite to the level I used to be at, and I still don’t understand all the new rules, but then I’ve not really had the inclination to research them. By October it looked like the season was over, but by now I had something else to look forward to. I’d come across an Ellesmere Port Gunners reunion in October, 30 years after the last speedway took place at Thornton Road. Well I couldn’t resist it, even though I was a little unsure about what it would be like. I didn’t really know any of the fans, I just happened to be one. Who of the riders would be there and what would I say to them anyway! But I bought a couple of tickets, I thought it might interest my dad and would give me some role reversal, taking him after all the years he’d taken me. It also turned out that a couple of local friends used to go to Thornton Road so they took a couple of tickets too.

And then, because of the postponements, there was more speedway. Initially there was Buxton vs Kings Lynn on Sunday 11 October, the day after the Ellesmere Port reunion, and then, Stoke popped in a meeting, against Rye House, on the Saturday afternoon (had it been the usual evening I would have missed it as it clashed with the reunion) and also they were due to take on Kings Lynn at home the day after, after Kings Lynn had competed at Buxton. With Buxton originally going to be the last meeting of the year, that was my original focus, but I decided I’d also go to Stoke on the Saturday. It turned out to be one of the best matches of the season, another last heat decider, which Rye house won to take the lead for the first time in the meeting. Stoke were a bit unlucky, but that’s speedway.

That evening I went off to the Ellesmere Port reunion. I felt a little out of it, not being a local and knowing any of the fans, but I settled down a little, had a look at all the memorabilia and got talking to a few of the riders, though I was disappointed more didn’t turn up, I would’ve particularly liked to talk to Steve Finch. However I had a couple of good chats with John Jackson, such an ebullient rider and yet such a quiet and modest man. A brief chat with Colin Goad, who had been and gone from Ellesmere Port before I started watching them, I left my dad to chat with him, as they were more of the same era, and went off to chat to Eric Monaghan, another quiet and unassuming guy. Finally I chatted to Chris Turner, who, along with Jacko, had won the National League Pairs in 1976.
NL Pairs Champions in 1976, still holding the trophy with pride 39 years later

The next day was a bonus, we (Carole, myself and Carole’s mum, hit Buxton for the meeting against Kings Lynn. More speedway bad luck, on both sides, and another last heat decider, in which Kings Lynn prevailed for a win. Two meetings and a reunion in one weekend, I couldn’t justify the evening meeting at Stoke. So that was the end of my season, as far as I was concerned.

However…..I got wind of what really would be the end of season meeting, a double header at Coventry against Eastbourne and Mildenhall, two weeks later. Carole and I were doing nothing so I somehow managed to persuade her that we should go. I’d never been to Brandon before, the closest I got was living in the same village as Coventry legend, and three time individual world champion, Ole Olsen. As a child I remember going round the back of his house to look at all his trophies, which were displayed in a shed of some type. So this was going to be interesting.

We arrived and managed to find a seat, there was plenty. Interestingly Coventry is one of the clubs that hosts teams from both the top division (Elite League) and the third division (National League). The crowd wasn’t big and it made me wonder how big it would be for an Elite League meeting. The first match was against Eastbourne. I hadn’t seen Eastbourne during the season, but they were clearly a top side, finishing 2nd in the league and winning the Gold Cup, National Trophy and, the night before, the KO cup, so I was expecting a close meeting. Unfortunately, despite good performances from Bradley Wilson-Dean and Ben Hopwood, Eastbourne never really seemed to get started, struggling with a number of engine failures, and were defeated by a large margin of 57-32. The second meeting against Mildenhall was also a big win for Coventry, 55-36, where guest Danny Ayres was top scorer for Mildenhall.

Buxton’s Liam Carr had guested for Coventry, scoring well, and it was only a few weeks later I was to find out he would be a Coventry rider for 2016. The rider I was most impressed with, on the night, was Coventry captain, Martin Knuckey, he’ll also be back at Coventry next year.

So that really was the end of the season, a season which saw me rekindle my love for speedway and a season that gave us another British World Individual Speedway Champion, in Tai Woffinden, having won his first in 2013. I’m hoping to be back watching speedway next year, but I’m not yet sure where I’ll go, Stoke, Buxton, Belle Vue or even Cradley Heath (who ended up being the only team I didn’t see in 2015). With the introduction of IoW and Belle Vue to the National League it should be an interesting season, but who to support, I really don’t know, I miss not supporting a team but I quite enjoyed being a neutral, a supporter of speedway rather than a supporter of a team.

I’d recommend you try it, if you haven’t before, or even if you haven’t for some time. Compared to some nights out it’s relatively cheap at £10-12 entry for National League speedway, going up only slightly for the higher divisions. With a, usual, 15 races, that works out at less than £1 a race. 

Written by Roger Alsop

No comments:

Post a Comment